Friday, August 21, 2009

Just call us Mr. & Mrs. Coach


On our flight home from Idaho, Lili & I sat by this wonderful couple. We started talking & I found out that they had come to Idaho to go on a fishing trip with the ISU assistant volleyball coach. It turns out that the lady is like a huge name in the volleyball world of Las Vegas. She started the 1st club volleyball team here & has been the head of it for 20 yrs. I told her that I have a little experience in coaching & would love to get back into it. She gave me her info & her website to check out.

When we got home, I looked everything up & contacted her. Well, I hadn't heard back from her so I decided to look around on Craig's list for sporting jobs. You NEVER know what you're gonna find on there!!! I found a posting that said "Volleyball Coach in Summerlin." I took a chance & sent in my resume. This was like Sunday night. Tuesday morning I got a call from Adelson's AD asking if I could come in for an interview that afternoon. He said on the phone that they thought they had the coach position filled, but received my resume & decided to interview me before they official filled the position. I went in Tues afternoon & he offered me the job on the spot as the Varsity Volleyball Assistant Coaching position! I was so excited! He then asked me if I played any other sports in high school & said shoot a basket for me. I was like um, awkward! Since I haven't touched a basketball in like 2 yrs +! He offered me a basketball job as well!

Amazing, seriously amazing! It was like it was all meant to be! For one, the school is less then a mile away from Taylor's work. So its very convenient to drop Lili off on my way to practice. The second thing is that the AD offered Taylor a wrestling coaching job as well! I think its great! Taylor & I have both been wanting to get back into coaching & didn't know when or where that would be. Here is our opportunity & I'm really excited!

The really interesting thing about this school is that it is a private Hebrew/Jewish school, therefore we have to obey by the Jewish religion rules. No non-kosher food on campus, no practice or any kind of activities on Fri/Sat because of the Sabbath. Academics come 1st, since it is a private school & tuition is only $17,000/1 year of school. . . amazing!! Its great to have a 4 day work week! Another interesting thing about this job is that every student in school is required to participate in a fall, winter, spring sport. It is their PE credit/requirement. Our team is filled with girls who have some experience & some who have NEVER touched a volleyball in their lives! It will be quite a challenge but fun at the same time. These girls are very nice & full of personality so there will NEVER be a dull moment with them! Lili seems to love them as well!



2 comments:

Kandyce said...

CONGRATS! That is so awesome. We just might have to come watch a game! I need to get back on a league and play a bit. :)

Judy Darrington said...

Hey that is great!