Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Another Somber Goodbye

I wrote this first passage in May about my Nana and I couldn't delete it: My lovely, bossy 94 year old Nana was rushed into ICU 10 days ago. She had had a series of mini strokes & had fallen in her bathroom. She was found by her health care worker & was rushed to the hospital. We were all told to be prepared for the worse. The weird thing about this was the timing. It was 2 months to the date since my Grandma Vora had passed away. It was 4 days prior to Tia's graduation and the week of Mother's Day. The timing was impeccable. My father decided to make his way out to Boston after Tia's celebration, which I'm so glad that he did. Nana surprised everyone and was moved out of ICU into a regular hospital room. I really feel that she was waiting for my Dad. I tried to accompany my dad out there, but I was declined. I wanted to see her one last time. I didn't want to have any regrets. I haven't seen Nana in 3 years and she has NEVER met Lili. I also wanted to ask her things about our family, about the past. I do not know much about the "Ellis" side and have always wanted to know more. I want to see pictures. This would me my regret, not getting to know her as well as I should have. Yes, while growing up we called Nana every Sunday & told her about our crazy lives that we lived. But I should tried to do more.
Nana we love you! We wish that we were closer to help & to be with you!

TODAY: 2010 has been a year of struggles, a year of remembrance, and a year of lose. It has been 4 months since my Grandma Vora passed away, my Papa Max's 10 year anniversary since his passing, and now my Nana has passed away on July 17th (My parent's 28th Wedding Anniversary). I am officially an orphan of Grandparents and to me I feel to young to have lost them all. They were all extraordinary people. Each possessing their own talents, gifts, personalities. I feel truly blessed that each of them were able to be a part of my short life & that I was able to have a special relationship with each one of them.

My Nana Dot was a one of a kind! She was the lady who shared our love for our culture, our love of Hawaii, encouraged us to cheer for the correct teams (Red Sox, Pats, & the Celtics). My Nana hooked us up with the most incredible Sox tickets when we would go visit her in Beverly, MA. Every Sunday we would not only call her, but we would make special trips out to Fort Hall Reservation to find her Turquoise Jewelery for her to wear. She loved the color Turquoise. Nana was Irish, which is where my love of green originated from. I remember when I was in Kindergarten she sent me a birthday package filled with wonderful gifts. This one gift, inparticular, was a green outfit for St. Patty's Day (my favorite holiday). That year I was dressed head to toe in green, thanks to my Nana!

Nana was known for being stern. You knew you were in trouble when that long pointer finger came out, shaking at your direction, followed by a lecture of what you were doing that was not pleasing to her. She was well known for that finger & we would all later joke about it, including her. I will miss it! I will miss her conversations on the phone. You knew she was not wearing her hearing aid when she would continually repeat back to you, "That's nice dear." But I would love how she always ended the conversation with, "God Bless you! Nana loves you!"

Nana told me, countless times, of my first trip to the Islands wit her and my parents. She changed my diaper at the cemetery, where all of the lost solider had died in WWII.Embarrassment for me, but a humorous memory for her. It was that trip where I dressed in my first grass skirt & developed the love of "Roostas."

Nana you will be missed, more then you'll ever know! She has touched so many lives, including my own. I am very appreciative of my memories that I was able to make with her. We love you so much & we hope you are finally at peace, surround by loved ones, & having a wonderful reunion!
Aloha 'Oe, aloha 'oe
E ke onaona noho i ka lipo
One fond embrace, a ho 'i a 'e au
Until we meet again (A hui hou aku)

I stole these pictures off of my cousin's Facebook. I absolutely loved them!
Nana with cousin Esme
Nana & her sisters
Dancing her heart out! I have seen many pictures of Nana dancing & I think I know where I get that from!
Nana with my cousin Jeffery. I love this picture of the two them. Priceless!


Nana on her 90th Birthday

Nana in her younger years

On her 94th Birthday

No comments: