Monday, August 8, 2011

King KAMEHAMEHA Hula Competition

On our 2nd to last day in the Islands (makes me sad thinking about my trip being over), we went to the 2nd day of the King Kamehameha Hula Competition in Honolulu. I guess the 1st night is incredible, and by incredible I mean the boys compete ;) No but honestly watching the men chant & dance traditional Hawaiian Hula is so awesome that it gives you chills! One reason why we attended was the fact that Tia & my Kumu (Hula instructor) was competing in the competition and we wanted to go and support her. We also were privileged enough to train under her Kumu for 1 week at a Hula workshop Tia & I attended in Rexburg, Idaho. Unfortunately, our Kumu was unable to make it due to family reasons, but we still went any way. We saw ladies of all ages from both the Islands, as well as Japan, compete & they did a marvelous job. It was really incredible watching the Japanese ladies & how the crowd supported them & cheered for them. Some of their halaus could not attend due to the tragedies that have hit Japan in the last year. Those dancers from Japan were so crisp, clean, smooth. Lilianna & I really enjoyed it & I hope to go back again one day.

Kumu Rich's Halau


On of the Japanese Halau
Blaisdale Stadium
The Aunties from Maui

Lili playing outside before the competition started.

No comments: