Sunday, July 3, 2011

June11

June 11th
We woke up after a long flight over & decided to of course go check out the beach. We stayed in Honolulu the 1st week we were there & we were in walking distance to Waikiki Beach. It was wonderful being able to just walking around. That weekend was also King Kamehameha Day so many festivities were going on, like the parade. King Kamehameha Day is a weekend of celebrations paying tribute to King Kamehameha the Great, who unified the Kingdom of Hawaii in 1810 and was its first monarch.
The first King Kamehameha Day, proclaimed by King Kamehameha V to honor his grandfather, King Kamehameha I, was held on June 11, 1872. It’s now a state holiday — one of the first holidays proclaimed when Hawaii became a state in 1959 . So there's a little bit of history for you.

Lilianna loved the beach! I knew she would. As much as the girl loves to dig in the dirt, she had to love playing in the sand & she did. It was so fun playing in the sand, teaching her how to boogie board, body surfing, etc. The beach we went to had a jetti which was wonderful since it calmed the waves down, allowing for kids to just go swim & not be afraid of the big waves.

King Kamehameha Statue
The parade










Lili & Mama at the parade
Well Hello ;)
Hello again! Can I just tell you that these were some BIG boys!!!
Waikiki Beach
Lili with one of her MANY sand castles
Boogie boarding
I loved seeing beach volleyball teams practice. It was awesome! It the beach was my office I'd be in heaven :)
On our walk home we would see this Halau (Hula group) practicing. It was really neat to watch.


No comments: